Atlas Travel Medical Insurance
Whether you travel for business or pleasure, international travel involves risk. You may arrive at your destination to find that your luggage with personal items has disappeared. A personal emergency may necessitate your early return to your Home Country. A medical emergency may require hospitalization or even air evacuation. In most cases, your existing insurance will not provide adequate protection for these and other risks. Without appropriate travel insurance, you may be exposed to significant financial liability. HCC Medical Insurance Services has designed The Atlas Series to take the risks out of international travel, so you can have an enjoyable and productive trip.
What's New in Atlas Travel®?
- If you are younger than 70, you may be covered for an acute onset of a pre-existing condition. Atlas Travel provides a limited benefit up to the medical coverage maximum lifetime for eligible medical expenses.
- Accidental Death & Dismemberment benefit is $50,000 for members ages 18 to 69
- Maximum certificate period has been reduced to 364 days.
- Up to $100,000 of coverage offered for members ages 70 to 79
- Atlas America is now available for individuals up to age 79.
- Emergency Reunion benefit is $50,000
- **Note: Not available to individuals who are physically located in California, Washington, New York State or in Canada at the time of purchase.
- Individuals who are US Citizens or whose Home Country is USA or a US Territory are able to purchase an Atlas International Plan for a total certificate period of 364 days. These individuals will not be able to renew their plan beyond the first 364 day certificate period. They are able to purchase a new plan if they require coverage beyond 364 days.
- Individuals who are traveling inbound to the USA or US Territory are able to purchase an Atlas America plan for a total certificate period of 364 days. These individuals will not be able to renew their plan beyond the first 364 day certificate period. They are able to purchase a new plan if they require coverage beyond 364 days.
- Non-US citizens traveling outside of the USA or US Territories are able to purchase an Atlas International policy for a total certificate period of 365 days. These individuals are able to renew the policy twice for a total of up to three, 365 day certificate periods.
Am I Eligible for Atlas Travel®?
If you are traveling outside of your Home Country and are at least 14 days old, you are eligible for coverage. If you are under age 70, you may select your Overall Maximum Limit, ranging from $50,000 to $1,000,000. If you are age 70 to 79, the Overall Maximum Limit available is $50,000. If you are age 80 or older, the Overall Maximum Limit available is $10,000. The minimum coverage period is 5 days and the maximum initial coverage period is 12 months.
When Does Coverage Become Effective and When Does It End?
Your coverage becomes effective on the latest of: the moment we receive your Application and correct premium (if Application and payment is made online or by fax), 12:01am US Eastern Standard Time on the date we receive your Application and payment (if Application and payment is made by mail), the moment you depart from your Home Country, or 12:01am US Eastern Standard Time on the date you request on your Application. Your coverage will end on the earliest of: 12:01am US Eastern Standard Time on the last day of the period for which you have paid a premium, 12:01am US Eastern Standard Time on the date requested on your Application, or the moment of your arrival upon return to your Home Country (unless you have started a Benefit Period or are eligible for Home Country Coverage).
Does The Atlas Travel® Provide Any Home Country Coverage?
Yes. Under certain circumstances, Atlas Travel® will provide limited Home Country Coverage.
Incidental Home Country Medical Coverage - For every 3 months of coverage purchased, the Atlas Series provides US citizens up to 15 days of incidental coverage for trips to your Home Country. Incidental visit time must be used within the three-month period earned, and the member must continue his or her international trip in order to be eligible for this benefit, which covers Medical expenses only. Return to your Home Country must not be taken for the purpose of obtaining treatment of an Illness or Injury that began while traveling.
End of Trip Home Country Medical Coverage - If you are covered under the Atlas Series and outside of your Home Country continuously (except for covered Incidental Trips as described above) for six (6) months or more you may purchase an additional 30 days of End of Trip Home Country Medical Coverage.
Which Plan Should I Purchase?
All US citizens should purchase Atlas International, which provides coverage for outside of the United States. Non-US citizens traveling outside of the US should purchase Atlas International. Non-US citizens traveling to the United States should purchase Atlas America.
What is Covered?
All benefits, except Hospital Indemnity, Lost Checked Luggage, Natural Disaster, Accidental Death & Dismemberment and Common Carrier Accidental Death, are subject to the Deductible and Coinsurance. Limits apply to all benefits (See Schedule of Benefits and Limits)
HCC Medical Insurance Services (HCCMIS)
Headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana, HCCMIS is a full service organization offering a comprehensive portfolio of insurance products designed specifically to address the insurance needs of consumers worldwide. Our international claims specialists, medical professionals and service representatives are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to answer your questions and respond to your needs. HCCMIS is a subsidiary of HCC Insurance Holdings, Inc. (HCC), which is a leading international specialty insurance group headquartered in Houston, Texas. HCC has assets of more than $8.6 billion, shareholders’ equity in excess of $2.7 billion and is rated AA (Very Strong) by Standard & Poor’s, AA (Very Strong) by Fitch Ratings and A+ (Superior) by A.M. Best Company.
Lloyd's, the largest and oldest insurance market in the world, is the insurer of the Atlas Series travel medical insurance plan . Rated A (Excellent) by AM Best Company and A (Strong) by Standard and Poor's, Lloyd's provides financial strength and security that is unparalleled in the worldwide insurance market.
Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (“PPACA”): This insurance is not subject to, and does not provide certain of the insurance benefits required by, the United States PPACA. PPACA requires certain U.S. residents and citizens to obtain PPACA compliant insurance coverage. In certain circumstances penalties may be imposed on U.S. residents and citizens who do not maintain PPACA compliant insurance coverage. You should consult your attorney or tax professional to determine if PPACA’s requirements are applicable to you. The policy contains the plan benefits, including a lifetime maximum that you have selected. Please review your choices to ensure that you have sufficient coverage to meet your medical needs.